Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thoughts...

I was asked by my friend, Lynn, "How was my journey going?"  How was this journey going for my aide, Lora, as well as for the children?  I then realized..this is a journey and I am never going to be at the final destination as far as learning goes! I get bogged down with the details and county policies and report cards,etc. 

I first read about Reggio Emilia a few years ago. I stumbled across a calendar made by students in a classroom and I had to know more about it. I went to Fairy Dust Teaching blog which is a blog authored by a teacher inspired by Reggio. I was fascinated with the simplicity and the beauty of the materials. I have never been a teacher that decorates with commercial items anyway.  So, the spaces of Reggio classrooms appealed to me. Last year, I started my transformation of my room.  No bright colors and instead neutrals were used. Only student work went up on the wall. 

This summer, I read two Reggio books, "The Hundred Languages of Children" and I think "Bringing the Reggio approach Home". I finally started to grasp the concept that students need many ways to show their thinking besides the traditional sense. But, as concepts were getting more clear I also became more confused and depressed even. The true Reggio schools have an outstanding network of support from the entire town it seems and these children start attending the preschools early!   I am trying to bring in this approach to my kindergarten in a year. 

Here I am, three weeks deep. My students love having "choice time" where they can choose from a myriad of places and provocations.  Blocks, the art area and housekeeping are favorites. Sound familiar! Not much has changed in the minds of 5 and 6 year olds! 

I hope I can keep the faith as I try to follow their lead and also teach the reading and language arts skills that seems to always be breathing down my back.  We wonder why kids stop loving reading?  When reading turns from a pleasurable activity to work, that's when.  

Look at this teamwork on one of the very first few days of school!




No comments:

Post a Comment